Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jonah's 9-Months-Old, and on the GO!...and OTHER updates as well

I have officially been HORRIBLE about updating my blog. But, I think such is the life of a full-time working mother of a 9-month-old.

So much has happened in the past two months. Just as I predicted, Jonah began crawling AND pulling-up at almost the exact same time -- about a month ago! He is officially on the go. In fact, he recently got his first black eye at daycare, when he crawled over a little padded corral-thingy and landed smack on top of a toy shovel. OUCH!! He's a brave little soul, and he already tries to stand independently. Usually, he balances for about a half a second before toppling over. Our house has become a padded playground.



Life is very routine for us. Jonah is a super star at putting himself to bed, and I'm cracking up to find that he's suddenly taken an interest in a pacifier. Jeremy says he sometimes doesn't even know when Jonah wakes up in the morning because Jonah will just stuff a paci in his mouth in the morning and start entertaining himself in his crib. I still put him to bed withOUT the paci on occasion, just to be sure that he's not dependent on the thing.

He seems to take after his narcoleptic mama in the sleeping arena, as he has been sleeping 13-14 hours per night, recently!! Unbelievable!! But, I'm NOT complaining.

We've also made the difficult decision to go ahead and wean to formula. I really wanted to nurse until Jonah was a year old, but he's just not interested, unless he's dead-tired......which is only 1st thing in the morning usually. So, while we're still holding on to that first nursing of the morning, we've gone to formula or mixtures of formula and breastmilk that I have stock-piled in the freezer. At the rate we're going, I should have enough stored to continue to give him at least a few ounces of breastmilk per day until he's about 10-months old.

In OTHER news, the past month has brought a lot of crazy happenings in the Holmes' Sweet Home. A few weeks ago, on a Friday night, I was feeding J-Bug his dinner, and he decided to choke on his baby food. I mean -- like -- the REAL thing....no breathing.....the scary thing where I had to dig into the recesses of my brain and pull out the "baby Heimlich" tool from my Mommy Mental Toolkit. You know, I have to admit, when I did that whole "turn the baby over and beat on his back" thing in CPR class, I always wondered, "Will this REALLY work?" Well, folks, I'm here to tell ya, it DOES work! After a few seconds of pounding, J-Man choked it right up and proceeded to projectile vomit all over himself, me, our brand new leather recliners (that's right...plural....somehow he hit BOTH recliners, which are positioned a few feet away from each other!), and our living room carpet. I never thought I would be so happy to see my little man vomit all over me.

As if THAT wasn't enough drama for one night, I received a phone call from Jeremy at about 11pm the same night......while Jonah simultaneously awoke from his slumber and was crying in the other room. I couldn't decide whether to tend to Jonah or answer the phone. My sister-in-law was over at the house, so she went to check on Jonah while I got the phone (this seemingly useless detail will come up again momentarily....). Well, I was glad I answered the phone because Jeremy was calling to let me know he had been rear-ended by a intoxicated, inTEXTicated driver. That's right. A driver who was not only under the influence of alcohol, but who was ALSO texting while driving, plowed into the back of Jeremy's patrol car at about 45 mph, while Jeremy was stopped at a red light. I was just thankful that Jeremy was the one who called me -- because that meant he was okay. I have to admit, as a police officer's wife, my biggest fear is to have a couple of Jeremy's closest police friends show up on my doorstep in the middle of the night. Two years ago, one of Jeremy's colleagues was struck by a drunk driver and killed while on duty. This incident certainly brought back a flood of emotions. But, I'm happy to report that Jeremy has been blessed in the sense that he has sustained no injuries that we can see so far. His back does fatigue a little more quickly than it used to, and he's keeping his eye on that, but in general, he was very blessed. God was looking after Jonah AND Jeremy that night.





A couple of nights after the accident, I had a dream (or nightmare) that Jeremy was home, off duty, and a couple of guys were trying to break into one of our next door neighbor's cars. Well, Jonah was in the floor playing in the living room, and when Jeremy stepped outside to confront the "bad guys," one of the guys shot Jeremy. I knew he was hurt, but suddenly, I couldn't find Jonah. I was so torn between the decision of whether I should find Jonah and go hide, or whether I should go help Jeremy. It was HORRIBLE!!! Obviously, the dream was reflective of the feelings I had when I had received Jeremy's phone call that Friday night, and I was torn between whether to answer his call or go tend to Jonah. Our brains play the CRAZIEST tricks on us!!!!

I just feel so blessed that our sweet family is intact. Jeremy and I celebrated 2 years of marriage on May 26, our major remodeling project is essentially finished, and I have been focusing on getting back into good physical shape (for more details on that, see my other blog: http://hannah-holmes.blogspot.com/ ). Overall, life is good. Marriage is great. Family is amazing. We are blessed, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment